Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Weird Diving Mishap

It wasn't so much a mishap as a weird experience for the people around me.

When we surfaced, I took off my mask and my face was covered in blood.

Nosebleeds are very common while diving apparently.

So today, to recap a bit, was the third day of my lesson, and so far I've dived four times and am now certified.

10 minutes before reaching the shoreline, I saw some brownish-red spots on my mask. I did the obvious thing of wiping the outer surface with my hand. Then I did a bit of a "mask clear." Still, reddish spots. My first thought: what a strange plant, and how did those leaf-pieces get inside my mask?! :)

2 comments:

Breht said...

Yeah, cuz there is nothing so great as seeing sharks when you're diving. Congrats on learning to dive, depending on when (if) you come back we can go dive Hood Canal in the snow. I know this great little spot where the local diver sunk a bunch of old washing machines and toasters so people would hav e soemthng to see across the mud bottom. Of course with visibility at 5 feet you can't see much, but it was nonetheless a very disturbing experience. The GBR is one of the diving Meccas of this planet, now that you're certified you can make the most of it. So when will your Southern Hemisphere travel book be published? On the home front the main sheet attachment pad is installed under the deck now and I'm ready to attach the bottom. I bought a nice long piece of iron wood for the rubrails and I've decided on the S/V Amor y Paz for a name.

Anonymous said...

Hehehe. Hehehe. He said Hood Canal.