Thursday, October 25, 2007

Uncertainty

Today, while taking the shuttle to the thermal pools of Hanmer Springs, I chatted with the driver. Almost 50, he has almost 15 granchildren. His wife left him with five kids and didn't contact them again for nine years, so he was left with the task of raising them himself. He also survived bone cancer when he was 37, even when the doctor told him he would die. I didn't get into the whole rigmarole of discussing my family history; in a nutshell, cancer has been a major cast member in our family's play, and I fear that I might die in my 40s (hence the adventurous spirit -- what do I have to lose?). He did say something about surviving cancer that stuck with me. He said, yes, it's good to have a positive attitude and all that, but he doesn't think it was just his positive attitude that saved him. He said he had five kids to raise. In other words, he didn't have a choice. When the doctor gave him his death sentence, it didn't look like Truth.

I don't have that same firmness of purpose. Perhaps while adventuring I'll uncover it (or the path to it). It's like Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle -- I can't see the electron particle and the path of the electron at the same time.

3 comments:

Lychee said...

I have those same thoughts about my future at times and wonder, positive thinking and all, I if I have enough sense of purpose to get me through.

How were the thermal pools. I need a thermal pool right now.

Daphne said...

Lisa, they were great. I wonder if I took the bus there (two hours) because I had read about your own pilgrimage to warm pools in Argentina. :)

Lychee said...

Thermal pools are one of the great wonders and luxuries of the earth, however, I forget we have them here in the U.S. For instance:

http://www.totalescape.com/active/leisure/hotspr/prim.html

We should meet up there someday!!