Monday, October 1, 2007

Brighton Beach

It's about a 20-minute drive to the Brighton Beach pier, including a library and its downstairs restaurant. Michele and Richard brought their dogs to the beach with us, and we went for a long walk (not off the short pier but down the beach). The dogs chased birds, and we zipped up our "jumpers" and strode into the wind.

Like Oregon, the coastline isn't too built up, and behind the dunes are mountain bike trails. I walked up one of the dunes, so as to use nature's toilet, and was able to get this nice shot of the beach houses in the mountainous distance.


Driftwood:


Griffin, the roguish dog, tromping along the shore:


As you can see, the Pacific here is much greener and colder than the Fijian variety. The weather has been intermittently windy and sunny, from tanktop weather to hat-and-scarf weather in 60 seconds. I bought an All Blacks jumper today (partially for warmth), which I'll discuss in my next post, and plan on being a rugby fanatic. As far as I can tell, rugby is a lot like football, only it involves quite a few more illicit activities in the men's showers. Care to comment?

2 comments:

Breht said...

Oh my, I shall choose to make no comments regarding illicit activities, however I can say that there is a web cam at the Brighton Beach Pier. Wouldn't it be cool if you could impose yourself on it for all of us to see? Perhaps you could scrawl a message in the sand? Here's the link.

new brighton pier-cam christchurch
http://unidata.com.au/services/cam-era/sites/piercam/

Lychee said...

Oh, an appearance on the webcam would be fabulous!!!

I supposed fandom of a sport is normal and healthy, lack of which only supports the idea that I a not normal or healthy. Happy for you, I am sad to see you leave my team. :-)