Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Melbourne Family, Part 2

You read about my first visit to Melbourne, perhaps. I arrived there on November 1, spent a week; it was the first time I'd ever met my Australian cousins. In mid-December after Mission Beach I went to Palm Cove, another beach town. From Cairns I flew back down to Melbourne, to reconnect with the cousins again and also to meet Henry and Carolyn, whom I hadn't met before. Henry is the oldest of the generation of kids born in Melbourne to the Holocaust survivors. He and Carolyn have four children and two grandchildren.

They have a gorgeous apartment in a Melburnian high-rise, overlooking the town.

Before spending the night at their other house, which is at Cape Schank on the Mornington Peninsula, I stayed again with my cousins Nathan and Linda and their adorable kids Phillip and Eva.

We went to dinner at Fed Up. I enjoyed the restaurant and had the flounder. I was especially warmed by the name because my uncle, who would also be related to Henry, when he first arrived to the U.S., enjoyed a meal, sat back, rested his hands on his stomach and said, "Well. . .I'm fed up!" We've been teasing him about it ever since. I, of course, had to tell Henry and Carolyn the story.

I wasn't expecting to see the entire flounder! At the end of this fish, boy was I fed up. ;)

I wouldn't complete this entry without the view from Henry and Carolyn's award-winning house at Cape Schank.

No comments: